Thursday, March 3, 2011

Today in Things That Happened Whilst Stopped At A Traffic Light - From September 21, 2010

      So I'm stopped at a red light on 1st Ave and Bell St. today after fixing something for a site and I see this bulky black guy across the street. He has on a white wifebeater, white beanie, sweatpants with one leg pulled up and flip flops. But what really pulled the outfit together was the headphones, the savvy swagger and the hiphop recital. To no one in particular. My guess is that he had been doing this for blocks. My daydream was that he had been at it for years across continents. Anyway, he is really into his own imaginary rap video until he stops at the corner to wait to cross the street. As soon as he stops, a middle aged white lady (I had my glasses on) pulls her Kia up to the same corner to make a right. When she stops, the guy stoops down and continues his performance while staring at her. She glances at him for half a second. And then guns it. I've never seen a Kia gun it before but if it happens again, it will confirm that Kia tires have the best grip ever. No screech. None. She was gone and the guy's stare followed her until he could longer see the car. He turned towards his original heading and crossed the street.
     In that moment, I wondered what it's like to be in a middle-aged white lady's car when a strange yet confident black man serenades her with unflinching candor. I bet it was really exciting.
Well played sir. Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment