Sunday, December 19, 2010

4 years ago

      I was living in North Pole, Alaska at the time of the making of this video. I had just started my terminal leave brought on by my exiting from the Air Force. During these days I spent my time being drunk and bored and refusing to look for a job. Some might call it depression but I called it a silent boycott. A mini protest that drained my bank account. 
      I watched a lot of You Tube vids and had just watched an interview of a drunk Tracy Morgan. I was drunk and we were brothers. For some reason there was recommended link to a Diet Coke and Mentos video directly after the interview video.  Jackass Number Two had just come out and was all over MTV. I was feeling crafty. What else would you expect me to do

      I called my buddy Bryan and had him bring over the ingredients. At first he was a little disgusted at my idea. Later he was fully disgusted. I had to rig the candy and the soda bottle so I could get the maximum amount of pressurized spray without taking the cap off. I found a 14 gauge metal rod and kabob-ed 3 Mentos to the very end. The insides of the candy were sticky enough to stay on. Then I took the cap off the Diet Coke bottle and pressed a small hole in it large enough for the rod fit through uninhibited but small enough to not let all the soda through without some kind of reaction. I slid the cap over the top of the candies and twisted the cap back onto the bottle while carefully holding the rod and keeping it from falling into the bottle. Bryan had the camera ready and I felt like I was holding a cartoon time bomb.
      The first try was the only try. All I had to do was let go of the rod and internet stardom was to be mine. All mine.
      Instead its only gotten just over 5000 hits. This is why:
      Hilarious, of course. But not so easy to find. What does the person look like that types the words diet+coke+mentos+bidet into You Tube? Me or worse?
      I eventually edited it with Johnny Cash's I Walk The Line by way of some free video editing software. You can view it here.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment